Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Deirdre’s “Crème de la Récolte”

Deirdre! My tennis buddy of the bunch! It’s great to be in your group again. As I was re-reading through your intro today, I remembered that I had read an article called “Causing a Racquet” a while back in which you were interviewed about the tennis team and your Halloween activities. I think it’s so cool that you get to do what you love at the collegiate level. I hope your season goes well! My topic three picks from your blog are as follows:

Want a Fun Day? Simply Pay $4.75 via E-Z Pass: Like Ashley, I picked this post for you because of the voice you used. You are a great storyteller! When I first started reading, I wondered if I had read the prompt wrong because what you wrote didn’t initially seem to have anything to do with what we were supposed to write about. As I continued reading, it all made sense and I decided to read it multiple times to appreciate how you laid out the story of your dad by giving a history of the bridge and switching between two viewpoints. The account you described seems like something a screenwriter would be writing for a movie! You gave very vivid details that helped me picture everything that was taking place. This is definitely my favorite post!

Don’t Cheat Yourself: With this post, I thought you choose great quotes from the text to support your claims. At first, two of your quotes made me optimistic that couples can indeed be faithful to one another, and the next part of the quote would contradict itself and gives a reason as to why that doesn’t happen. I thought it was interesting that you would choose those sentences to cite, especially because from the sound of it, you feel that if couples knew each other better, high rates of infidelity would start to decline. Your concluding paragraph really pulled at my heart strings because I think we all want to believe the best in people, so we WANT to hold on to the hope that if we take the right measures, people will stop cheating on each other, even though we know this is probably not the case. Again, you showed a side to you that none of us would ever get to know had you not written this!

Read My Mind: For starters, great title! It went really well with the whole theme of how humans have thoughts and memories, but we’re not really sure where they come from. Since scientists are just now starting to find answers to these questions, it’s like they’re “reading our minds.” Your introductory paragraph caught my attention right away because there will be times when I’m walking around campus and I’ll have a thought and I wonder where that thought came from. Our brains are a complex system and I’m sure everyone has had a similar experience. You did a great job of including your own thoughts and mixing in quotes from the text. I also loved your conclusion because you asked your audience a question and then gave your own answer. What really stood out to me was that you didn’t try to give any kind of academic answer about where YOU thought that our thoughts and ideas come from. You responded that you yourself don’t know and it showed a lot of vulnerability because as humans, we can’t know everything.

Good look with deciding what to write about! I can’t wait to read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment