Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Week 11 Blog Reviews

Deirdre: In “Goods for a Reason,” I really liked how at the end of your first paragraph you switched between the two sides of the issue. It was very reminiscent of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, which I enjoyed because I could see the internal struggle you were going through (you know materialism is bad but at the same time you don’t see what’s so wrong with wanting to have nice things.) In your third paragraph, you brought out a different side of materialism in holy holidays that I had previously failed to see. We always talk about people wanting to buy the best gifts for their loved ones but I had never thought about all the money spent on decorations! Unfortunately, our family is guilty of that; very thought-provoking post!

For your post “Slovakia Calling,” I was grateful that you included a geographical description because I had no idea where that was! You included a lot of interesting facts about the Slovakian people and I feel like I have a better understanding of who they are and how they relate to the American economy. Great job this week!

Lauren: In “A ‘Mallcondo’ Culture,” you brought up an excellent point about materialism during the holidays. When I was helping my nieces and nephews shop for last minute Halloween items this year, I did notice that Christmas decorations were already being displayed but I hadn’t thought of it in the commercial aspect of corporate America completely skipping over Thanksgiving. I agree with you that materialism also has its advantages. I know that after I get a haircut or buy something for myself, it makes me feel good to do something for me, especially because I know that I’ve earned my money. You did a great job mixing in quoted from the text with your own personal views!

For “Korean Immigrants,” I really liked how you started off writing about the Korean migration and how they’ve changed the American economy and waited until the very end to tie it together with the essay we read. It was a great way to switch things up and it flowed really well overall. I had previous knowledge about how Koreans have helped shape our economy but you provided excellent facts that made me gain a better understanding of who they are! Awesome writing!

Susan: When I first started reading “Buy Now,” you made me change my view of materialism instantly. My parents have always taught me that it’s ok to have nice things but that spending too much on particular items is unnecessary and greedy. But as I was reading, your thoughts made sense. If I work hard for my money, why can’t I spend it however and on whatever I want, regardless of the cost? As I finished reading your final paragraph, my views on materialism switched again. We shouldn’t be defined by how flashy our possessions are but it seems inevitable in this day and age. You did an awesome job of incorporating both sides of this topic! Now I am curious as to what your position on this matter is :)

To start, I really liked your title “Polish Prosperity.” You always use such great alliteration! I really liked your introductory paragraph because it really captures the views of why immigrants journey to the United States. I also enjoyed reading your post because it was such a personal topic for you and instead of having to use books and the Internet to do your research, you were able to use your family as a resource. Keep up the great writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment